NPD data for June 2013 is in and as expected the industry is in a decline. It is down by 15% year-on-year, and that isn’t surprising because people are probably waiting for the next-gen consoles at this point.
The Last of Us has topped the software charts, and this follows a spectacular performance in the UK where the game has topped the charts 5 weeks in a row.
We don’t know the exact figures for the game but it did less than God of War 3 which had sold 1.1 million units. So around 900k seems believable. Animal Crossing is at the second spot and has done wonders in boosting the 3DS sales.
On the hardware side, the Xbox 360 topped as a home console, while the 3DS sold the most overall.
The 3DS sold 225k units, followed by the Xbox 360 at 140k units. The PS3 must have sold above 100k but the figures are yet to be determined.
1. The Last Of Us (PS3)** Sony (Corp)
2. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS) Nintendo
3. Minecraft (360) Microsoft (Corp)
4. Call of Duty: Black Ops II (360, PS3, PC, NWU)** Activision Blizzard (Corp)
5. NBA 2K13 (360, PS3, WII, NWU, PSP, PC)** Take 2 Interactive (Corp)
6. Injustice: Gods Among Us (360, PS3, NWU)** Warner Bros. Interactive
7. Donkey Kong Country Returns (3DS, WII) Nintendo
8. Deadpool (360, PS3) Activision Blizzard (Corp)
9. Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC)** Electronic Arts
10. Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS) Nintendo
3DS – 225k
Xbox 360 – 140k
We will update this chart once we get more numbers but it looks unlikely that we will have the PS3 numbers due to Sony being extremely secretive about it.
The Wii U has sold very low along with the Vita. Fuse from Insomniac Games was a disaster and sold under 50k units.