Microsoft has revealed that you can make money from Xbox One and Xbox 360 game footage on YouTube and Twitch but there are certain rules that need to be observed. Minecraft has its own policy as well and that hasn’t been changed yet.
If you follow these rules your YouTube account won’t receive a strike and you can keep making money of Microsoft games.
Many publishers allow content creators to make money off their games but there’s a fine line that should not be crossed. Microsoft has revealed a bunch of rules which you can check out below. Nintendo meanwhile doesn’t allow content creators to monetize their games.
- You can’t monetise game content outside of Twitch and YouTube, as for example in paid apps or commercial films.
- You’re not allowed to reverse-engineer game assets.
- You can’t sign your creations over to exclusive distribution deals.
- Microsoft won’t allow you to use game content if your end product is “pornographic, lewd, obscene, vulgar, discriminatory (on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, etc.), illegal, hate speech, promoting violence, drug use or any illegal activity, promoting crimes against humanity, genocide or torture, or is otherwise objectionable”.
- Creators will need to include a copyright notice, as supplied by Microsoft.
- Titles mustn’t mislead users into thinking they’re viewing official products.
- You have to check on third-party licenses for music and sound effects yourself.
This is a fair and transparent policy. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.